Everything has energy. Some of us are more sensitive to energy than others but we are all affected by the energy around us. Just think about how the room feels when an angry partner or family member comes home for work. It can go from peaceful and comfortable at home to tense and uncomfortable even with no words said! This is just one example that we can probably all identify with but some of us live or work in very harsh or toxic environments and need some extra protection! Here are some quick tips on keeping your vibes in check:
1. Tune In– Meditate. I know I know meditating can be overplayed in today’s culture but it’s actually the number one way to tune into your own energy and increase your awareness about unwanted energy coming your way. It doesn’t have to be hours and hours of the quiet sitting in a dark meditation room. Even 5 minutes a day of guided meditation where you listen to someone else leading you to a peaceful place in your mind is great! There are so many great apps these days- stop, breathe and think and calm are just a couple. Moving meditation is also great like running, yoga, Tai Chi.
2. Smoke out- Burn Sage Ha not what you were thinking! Burning sage or herbs to clear the environment is called smudging and it’s an ancient tradition practiced by many indigenous cultures. Sage is a powerful herb and has many healing qualities like antimicrobial (clears bacteria), it can lift or release any negative energy in the environment, relieve stress, increase focus and intuition just to name a few! Sage can be too strong of a scent for some people so palo santo or sweet grass can be a milder option. You can also find sprays which can be more discreet and gentle to the senses.
3. Visualization/Setting Intentions – Take a few moments out of your busy day to visualize some form of protection around you and your space. One of my faves is envisioning a colored bubble around me (I usually choose purple for spiritual protection but you can choose any color that makes you feel safe and at peace. Some others you can try are picturing a rainbow shower of light rinsing away all the negative energy or asking for some help from the heavens like asking for an Angel, deceased loved one, the universe, Spirit or God to protect you. This last one is especially good for intense situations!
4. Hug a Tree – If you are feeling overwhelmed by the energy in an environment it can really help to take a break or walk in a nearby park or garden. As crazy as it sounds you can literally just spend a few moments with a tree or looking at the sky! Just focusing on the healing and regenerative energy of nature can help clear what’s going on in or around you. Obviously taking a hike or even a trip into wilderness to retreat can really give a total reset on your energy!
5. Shake or shower it off – After you have an encounter with some one or someplace with negative or toxic energy its important not to take it with you! You can simply shake it off by sending the intention that you want to leave any energy that doesn’t belong to you and give it back to the earth (picture it kind of like fertilizer!) and physically shake your hands, legs or whole body however you feel called. You can also take a quick shower when you get home and set the intention that the water is washing it away – visualize it going right down the drain!
Energetic Hygiene is just as important as other ways we take care of ourselves. It’s important to periodically clear the energy in our body and our space and if we are in a toxic environment or relationship it may be something we need to do daily!
For fellow HSP or empaths, energetic hygiene is a required step in living a balanced and enjoyable life! If you find that these techniques are helpful but are not enough, reach out and connect with us, we’d love to support you!